I'm delighted to be a stop on the blog tour for Sherri Lynn Wood 's new book, The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters. I was one of the quilters who volunteered to follow an improv "score" assigned by Sherri, so that she could illustrate the range of quilts that could result from the same underlying guidelines. 165 quilts were submitted and 22 accepted; I'm delighted that mine made it in! In this post, I'll describe the process through which I came to the final composition, talk about what I learned through the process, review Sherri's book, and, last but not least, offer a giveaway of the book to a lucky reader. The score that I was assigned is called "Modern Block Improv." The basic idea of this score is to take a traditional block--here Flying Geese--and to work with it improvisationally. My finished quilt: "Wild Geese" (38 x 40") I had taken a class from Sherri at QuiltCon in 2013, and the class had focused on the same...
My blog has been silent for a few months, as I was spending more time than usual on some travel, a workshop at the Crow Barn, and then an unexpected month-long stint back working at the college, substituting for someone who took an unexpected leave. What time I had for my own work, I spent sewing rather than writing about sewing. I did line up topics for several posts, and I hope to know come back to them and catch up. Good news from QuiltCon also pushed me to the computer. This is the second time the Modern Quilt Guild has put on a national convention/exhibition. In 2012, I submitted three quilts, none of which were accepted. This year I submitted another three, two of which were accepted; the show will be in February. The quilt that wasn't accepted was Regret , not too surprising, as it is more an "art quilt" than a "modern quilt," though the line between these is pretty hazy. (And not a debate I'm interested in getting involved in.) I ...
Comments
Post a Comment